I love the Kindle – but I don’t like how Amazon provides a good ecosystem and the cool features only for the books we buy from them. I understand why they do it – profit, monopoly etc… . And I really like their ecosystem. But as a reader, I would love a alternative ecosystem which works for .epub, and whatever other format e-books we buy from elsewhere (non-Amazon stores).
OK, what ecosystem am I talking about here? What exactly am I looking for?
I buy a e-book. It is in a .epub format (for this scenario).
- I want to store the book in the cloud for easy access, anywhere from any internet connected device (like how Amazon does this)
- I want to be able to sync the book between all my devices which have access to the cloud location (like the Whispersync)
- I want to be able to read the book on multiple devices
- On my smart phone (like the Kindle native apps)
- On tablets (like the Kindle native app)
- On E-ink readers (like the Kindle Paperwhite, Boyue, Kobo)
- On any browser (Chrome, Firefox)
- I want to be able to take notes and mark highlights when I am reading the books (all Kindle apps and Cloud Reader allow this)
- I want the last read position, my notes, and highlights to sync over devices when connected to the Internet ( like Whispersync with apps and Cloud Reader)
- I want to be able to see all the notes and highlights I made (Kindle Your Highlights page)
- I want to be able to download these notes/highlights off the cloud (how to do it?)
- I want to be able to search all my notes, highlights of all the books I have read. and edit them on the cloud – Missing
- I want to be able to keep these notes/highlights public or private as I choose – Missing
So, is this possible today for non-Amazon bought DRM free e-books?
This issue has been on my mind for a while – here is a previous post on the highlights part of this. It is something I have been thinking about for a few years at least…
So, is this possible? And is it possible to set this system up for my Boyue? In the next installment, I will talk about my set-up.
(An Aside: Maybe I should stop this mockery of the fantasy epics I read too many of?)