My successes and failures from 2016.
Planned and Successful
- Goal: Change career and become a Front End Web Developer.
- Goal: Work on developing and popularizing SoFoBoMoPartial Success: Michael is now a part of the SoFoBoMo initiative. We ran SoFoBoMo 2016. But I had planned a lot more which I didn’t get to.
- Goal: Improve handwriting.Partial Success: I have tweaked my handwriting so that LiveScribe can transcribe my notes correctly 99% of the time.
- Started recording “Moral Letters Vol II” by Seneca for Librivox.
- Climbed outside at The Emeralds, Mt. St. Helena and Alabama Hills
- Built a website for a friend, first using Polymer, then using plain old Bootstrap.
- Family trips to Vancouver and Costa Rica.
- Getting to learn Java on the job.
- Better sleep. Thanks to sleep tracking via Fitbit, Yogi Caramel Bedtime Tea and earplugs.
- Finding my productivity/essentialism strategy (for now): 2 week Idea / 6 month project by Tim Ferriss in this podcast.
- Working on Project LittleReads.
Planned but failed
- Goal: Develop and market a web app targeted towards readers who like to take notes. Project Name: ScribblerReason for failure: This project was too big, too complex. The project plan did not work. Also more interesting projects waylaid me.
- Goal: Make a new wallpaper every month and submit to Smashing Magazine.Reason for failure: I underestimated the time needed to do this every month, and overestimated my enthusiasm for this.
- Goal: Train to climb betterReason for failure: Many. Failure in commitment and discipline, weight gain are the major ones. I did climb a lot more this year and got marginally better, but am definitely stuck in my plateau.
- Goal: Investment Reading PlanReason for failure: here
- Goal: 4 Family Camping trips.Reason for failure: These were scheduled, campsites booked, but got cancelled at the last minute.